Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Florence So Far

I have been here almost a full week now, and Florence has been everything I would have imagined it to be with a couple unexpected facets. The city is very walk-able, it takes about seven to ten minutes to get to class depending on the building. Walking on the sidewalks takes a bit getting used to because of the cobblestone streets, but it is totally manageable if your shoes have thick soles. The streets are full of people at most hours of the day, from tourists to students to locals. 

It took a great deal getting used to navigating my way around the city streets. All streets lead to the Duomo, which is convenient if that is your main destination, yet a bit confusing if you plan on getting elsewhere. This is because the streets form mostly triangles instead of the grid pattern that I am used to in New York. You always have to go up a little, then down a little, a little too far then back track. The streets also change name after a couple blocks. I still have a lot to learn, however I do know my way to classes. 

Classes are great, and I am so very glad to have the opportunity to study here with professionals in their field. The international guidance will provide a great learning experience. Since I am quite the nerd, these classes are one of the most exciting aspects thus far. I picked up my books earlier today!!

Fashion is very interesting and different from America. In the US everyone wheres just about the same thing. For example chambray shirts are in, and most everyone owns a couple of them. Where in Italy every women has her own unique style that is not replicated by anyone else. Sure there are fashion patterns like ankle chelsea booties, and chunky knit scarves, but after that it is her confidence and edge that makes the fashion. It is very easy to pick out an american among the Italians, almost like an orange on an apple tree. Despite the odds, I am still probably foolishly trying to observe the fashion trends and blend in.
One of the school buildings

Sometimes I just stumble upon the magnificent Duomo and Baptistery on my way to class.

This is what I walk out to when leaving my apartment. Typical, quaint Italian street.


No comments:

Post a Comment