Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Fashion Week in Milan

FASHION WEEK IN MILAN

As soon as you walk out of the train station you see the Duomo sitting in all it's majesty. There is nothing like the Duomo is Milan, every time I walked past it, I had to take a picture because I was blown away. 


The Duomo



We arrived Friday afternoon with two hours to spare before we could check into our hostel. With our backpacks we made the 20 minute hike across the inner city of Milan towards our hostel and stopped at a quaint bar. Bar's in Italy mean anything involving food and drinks of any kind, I usually get a panino and cappuccino. After checking into our hotel we adventured into the city to see what we could find. Most of the afternoon was spent taking it all in, until dinner time when we met up with a friend who was studying abroad in Milan. To save some Euro, we cooked a pasta dish and relaxed from our busy travel day at his apartment.

Saturday was the perfect day anyone could have asked for. We went to the entrance way of two fashion shows and watched as celebrities and famous fashion bloggers entered. Nothing makes you feel as unimportant than being in the presence of celebrities with paparazzi flocking around them. Occasionally a big name would start walking towards the show and paparazzi would literally sprint towards them. I felt dumb if I were not doing the same, so at times I joined in the craziness, swarming the celebrities and taking pictures of their cliche poses and finely pressed outfits. It was quite an entertaining scene to be involved in, but even more so because I had no idea who I was taking pictures of. When I was not being the paparazzi, I was pretending to be an important fashion blogger or something of the sort that required attention. While my friend was taking a picture of my best celebrity pose, I did gain a small audience of other photographers who snapped shots of me. That was a confidence booster! It was hilarious, other people were doing the same as I, running around taking pictures of people they think are important, and I was added to their collection. Maybe one day my picture will be worth it. After alternating between being paparazzi and a celebrity we made our way to a Restaurant with a view of the whole city. We ate outside on the top floor of the building and enjoyed our food with the most beautiful view of Milan.





Caitlin with a famous fashion blogger, fashion blogger, Vogue magazine, Me (easily mixed up as a celebrity)
Me at the restaurant with the top of the Duomo behind me


Most of Saturday was spend in the fashion scene. Later that evening I went to Catholic Mass with my roommate Caitlin in the Duomo. We could not understand the service because it was in Italian, but they sounded beautiful. Our great day in the city was topped off with a great night dancing. There were four other girls and I from Florence, and our friend and his roommates. Three guys, and six girls total. They took us to the best night scene in Milan. The disco had multiple floors and multiple rooms so you could pick the music most suiting to your dance style. At the door, I received two drink tickets instead of one. Props to looking good when you go out. I did not want two drinks, since in Italy the alcohol level is extremely high in mixed drinks, so I gave the second ticket to my friend. THE DISCO WAS SO MUCH FUN! We danced the night away, for those of you at Grove City, I broke out my best "grover" dance moves. Despite my unique, more entertaining dance style in contrary to the way the other girls were dancing, it was inevitable to not catch guys interest. Some of the night was spend dodging the same couple of guys who were quite persistent. That did not ruin the night, it made it more like a game. We were out pretty late, and were happy to know we could sleep in Sunday.

Sunday was much more relaxing than Saturday. Caitlin and I posted up on a statue in the middle of the piazza and watched the outdoors Sunday Mass. For two hours we people watched and enjoyed the warm weather of Milan.





This trip was fantastic. I forgot to mention we experienced the best chocolate gelato place! Unfortunately we could not find the one art museum we wanted to go to, and I did not get the chance to see the Last Super because it requires you to buy tickets in advance. Milan may be a place I need to visit again!

No comments:

Post a Comment