Saturday, April 12, 2014

Germany part two

Munich Beer Garden
The second part of my stay in Germany was spent in Munich, with Annick and Greg. We took the scenic route to Munich from Offenburg through the Black Forrest. After unpacking our heaps of luggage for only two nights (Annick and I may have over packed, we wanted outfit options..) we headed over to a beer garden. I had never heard of a beer garden before, and the definition is just as it sounds. A beer garden is a green area of the city, the one we went too was located near a pond, with picnic tables and a place to buy  snack foods and beer. Greg treated me to a pretzel with cheese dip, commonly ate alongside beer in Germany. 


 There was also a persistent Duck who thought he was a person. You may have missed him at first glance. I think he wanted some beer, or the pretzel. Either way, he lingered for more than five minutes and I was terrified to sit back down, because it reminded me of a traumatic experience from my childhood with Geese. 


The next two days Annick and I explored the city. Greg's time was split between waiting outside of shopping stores, and working on a class project. He usually joined us for meals, because most of the days we were either shopping for clothes, window shopping in home goods/design stores, and browsing art galleries. 
Inside of part of the Shopping Mall

Canoe Shelves?!?!?!?!!!!! Yes please
Everyone needs a couch this big, and that human statue on the table is just priceless.
 While we were walking around the city enjoying a beautiful afternoon, a street artist caught our eye. He had the best street jewelry I had seen yet. Since Annick and I have similar taste, not so coincidentally we picked the same ring, however was there was only one! The artist quickly caught onto our dilemma and offered to make another one for us right on the spot! I picked rose-gold (because i have been told it compliments my skin), and in two minutes I had a matching ring. The man is jewelry hero, a real talented life saver. 


The last night we ate at the world renowned Hofbrauhaus! I had visited the Hofbrauhaus branch in Pittsburgh, needless to say it was nothing like the original in Munich. The restaurant is three stories high, the bottom floor is a huge room three times the size of the Pittsburgh branch with long wooded tables and benches. Seating is a free for all on the first floor. Since I was with Germans and not a tourist while i was in Munich, we ate on the second floor which is more restaurant style. There was live music and the waitresses and waiters dressed up in traditional German outfits where we were as well. Not only did I eat the most German meal, I also had the most German experience eating on the second floor. Below you will see the roast and potato dumpling, which was so delicious I just had to finish even though it was bigger than my stomach.
Mmmhmmm Good. HB favorite dark brew



Other highlights were the two art museums we visited. I bought a couple postcards to hang in my room. Ironically they were works of a painter originally from New York. Apart from viewing art in every city I visit, another goal of mine is to eat ice cream/gelato everywhere. This was not a difficult request for Annick to plan because she too has a sweet tooth for ice cream. She raved about a place she kept referring to as the crazy ice cream place, later I found out it literally translates to Crazy Ice Cream Shop. The flavors were outrageous, including one of their most famous flavors, beer. The beer flavor tasted like a beer milkshake, which surprisingly was good. The atmosphere of the place matches with the name, the owner always wears a top hat, the interior is covered in paintings, customers sit on mushrooms, and there are quotes from the song Somewhere Over the Rainbow and John Lennon. Maybe there was a secret ingredient that made the ice cream so flavorful. 

Annick's friend with the walls of the Crazy Ice Cream Shop behind her.
 On our way back from Munich we had plans to visit a Castle. We were a little let down to find out none of the tours fit our schedule, but we went to see it from the outside anyways. 

The Castle was worth seeing!

 The last day was spent back in Offenburg, visiting with the family and walking along the river separating Germany from France. 
A view of two rivers from a tower, on the far left you can see France!

Annick and I

I had a wonderful time in Germany, my experience would not have been the same if Annick and her family had not opened their home to me. Thank you for making me feel like part of the family!
My German Family
Shameless plug: My photo from the black Forrest is 3rd out of 300 entries in a photo contest. I would appreciate a vote! You can vote through face book, you just have to like Athena Abroad first. Follow the link below!

https://apps.facebook.com/offerpop/Contest.psp?c=588370&u=30024&a=255558194495800&p=149141258429874&v=Entry&id=3365648&rest=1 

No comments:

Post a Comment