Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Reunited after 4 years




I flew to Germany for Spring break to visit with my good friend Annick and her family. Annick was an exchange student my junior year of high school, and we have kept up our friendship since, we always hoped for a time when I could visit her in Germany.  That time finally came, and it was so wonderful to spend a week with her, reconnect and live as a German (as much as an American can). A special thank you her family for taking me in, taking time out of your week to show me around, and for making me feel like part of the family. I would not have wanted to experience Germany any other way!

The first half of my stay Annick showed me around  her area, we went shopping and sight seeing across the river to France,  hiking in the beautiful Black Forrest, visited her grandmother, ate typical German food, and danced the night away Offenburg style. 

I was amazed by how close Annick lives to France. Annick, her mother and I drove a little over twenty minutes to a beautiful city/town in France. We took a boat ride along the rivers that flow through the city, and spent the rest of the day in and out of shops pursuing our fashionista dreams. There is now a new dress in my wardrobe for all the summer weddings, and also so I can contribute to the sororities dress closet. You're welcome. 
Riding through France


Annick, her mom and I in front of a Cathedral in France
Hiking in the Black Forrest has been one of my favorite adventures, because of three things: my trips have consisted of mostly cities and I have been nature deprived, the Black Forrest is majestic, and I love hiking. Stepping over tree roots, smelling the fresh air and climbing up rocks are part of my childhood, hiking in the Black Forrest brought many great memories back, and made amazing new ones. The view was simply jaw dropping. 





Also we went on a random, yet awesome "roller-coaster car ride thing" that overlooked the Forrest. Just watch the video to understand. 


I loved the first few days in Germany with Annick and her family. One of the nights her mother cooked a delicious pasta meal, and paired it nicely with champagne and wine. They caught on to my inordinate desire for sweets and surprised me with a bowl of ice cream with a flavor unique to the area. Everything was incredibly wonderful!!! Next post will be about our adventures in Munich and the second half of my stay. I know, you are amazed at how much German I experienced in 10 days. It is only because Annick and her family were so hospitable and determined to make my stay the best it could be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment