Monday, February 24, 2014

Pisa Pisa Pisa



For my friends on facebook, sorry for the delay of this Pisa post! During our Valentines day dinner, our new friends Bhumi and Ashley were talking about their Pisa trip the next day. Kindly, they invited anyone who wanted to come. On a whim, my roommate Caitlin and I jumped on the offer, looked at our watches and decided we would be in Pisa in less than 12 hours. I am still getting used to the fact that I can take "casual" trips to some of the wonders of the world and ancient monuments. It was a "hey lets just go to Pisa tomorrow".

8am came fast, we boarded the train and in less than an hour and a half we were in the quaint town. Pisa is a beautiful small city, with a mix of colorful townhouses, big shopping streets and world renown architecture (obviously).


 For some reason we all had the idea that making it to the leaning tower of Pisa would be a breeze. We thought you get off the train and walk a block or two, and follow the top of the tower until you arrive. That was not the case. The four of us wandered around the city for a bit asking many strangers for directions, luckily Bhumi was fluent in Italian. I feel as though the natives got a kick out of pointing us in the wrong direction, because I know we went 3 different ways within 20 minutes. Eventually a nice old man sent us the right way.


I will never get used to seeing my art history book come to life. The small picture on a small page does not do any of these places justice. The Baptistery was beautiful as well as the Cathedral. When I saw the tower I definitely questioned how it still stands today. Mind blowing. Since I was there, and I was a tourist, I had the right to take the typical touristy photo. 


 The city was wonderful and a place I recommend for a day trip or weekend trip if you plan on going to Italy. I feel beyond blessed to be traveling around Italy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment